Saturday, March 26, 2005

Decoding the Da Vinci Code

Yes, The Da Vinci Code is old news, but I've only recently been able to get at it, thanks to you-know-what. The book is undoubtedly a very good book and has quickly become one of my favourites. The plot and storyline is wonderful and a lot has already been said about them. But what impresses me as much, if not more than the plot, is the sheer amount factual information Dan Brown presents in the book. The information relates mainly to religious and cultural symbology throughout history. While things like that may not be everyone's cup of tea, they are quite interesting. I'm sure my friends Kazarelth and Alarond would feast on them. What's also impressive is how expertly Mr. Brown weaves the large amounts of information seamlessly into the main story with the result that it is well-nigh impossuble to get bored. I do suggest you read this book. Even if you don't agree with the theme of the book, read it as an excellent piece of fiction literature.

The Da Vinci Code took me about 2 days, which included watching the movie Constantine with my friends followed by lunch at Pizza Hut. Constantine is a nice movie. A recent newspaper review called it "Exorcist meets The Matrix" and I agree. It's interesting if you're into the occult and stuff like that. It is a bit lacking on the action front and personally I thought that the end was somewhat anti-climatic. I suppose many of you know the storyline already so know point wasting time on that.

Right now I'm trying to get through a book called Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. It's a popular science book which deals mainly with higher dimension and how they've influenced our concepts of physics throughout the last few centuries. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a genuine interest in science, but it is quite simple and easy to understand. ONce that's done I'll be reading a Bertrand Russell book called The Impact of Science on Society. I hope to wrap all this up by the end of next week so that I still have another week to browse through my school books for next year.

That's that for my reading and recreation. Once school starts again I'll be struggling to find time for reading. Oh well, one crisis at a time.

No comments :